The Child Life program provides preparation and support for pediatric medical procedures, surgery and your general hospital stay.
Child Life Services include:
- Five certified Child Life Specialists serving patients in
Pediatrics, Pediatric ICU, Pediatric ER, Surgery, Radiology, Endoscopy and the St. Jude Clinic at Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children
- Weekly pre-surgery tours
- Three age-appropriate activity rooms for patients' use
- Visits by therapy dogs
- Community outreach
Child Life Specialists:
- Work to minimize fears and stress experienced by children,
adolescents and families regarding healthcare experiences
- Support the patient's emotional, social and cognitive
growth in the context of his/her family, culture and
- Implement a wide range of recreational events and activities
- Support patients and families to continue everyday living
experiences as much as possible
- Strive to enhance the patient's understanding of
medical procedures and diagnoses using
- Provide age-appropriate, safe, play environments
Did You Know?
Child Life Specialists are prepared at the bachelors and masters levels in child life, child development and other related fields. Professional certification is available to qualified candidates through the Child Life Certifying Committee. Someone who passes the Child Life Professional Certification Examination is a Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS). For more information, contact the Child Life Council - www.childlife.org.
Practicum and Internship Opportunities
If you are interested in a Child Life Practicum or Internship, you may download the applications here: