Home
Home About Us Baby Pictures Bill Payment Contact Us Education & Events Employment Giving Opportunities Hospital Services Madison Services Physician Finder Visiting Info Women & Children
Huntsville Hospital's History

1895
A small infirmary is opened on Mill Street. The Infirmary was the result of the United Charities of Huntsville, a group dedicated to helping the sick and needy. The rent was $12.50 per month.
1904
The Infirmary moves to a new location. The house had previously been owned by Mollie Teal who left the home to the city. 112 patients were treated in the Infirmary during the year.
1916
The city appeals to the State Health Department for help after typhoid fever devastates the community. Dr. Carl Grote Sr., later to become known as the patriarch of Huntsville Hospital, answers the call.
1918
An outbreak of Spanish Flu ravishes Huntsville. Almost 400 people died of the disease in less than four months. Dedication to their jobs became deadly when only four doctors in Madison County escaped the disease.
1925
A campaign is begun by Dr. Carl Grote, Sr., to raise funds for a new hospital. In an outpouring of public sentiment, most of the money was raised by private donations. Property was donated by Harry Rhett, Sr.
1926
A modern hospital, the first of its kind in the Tennessee Valley, is built. The name is officially changed from the Huntsville Infirmary to Huntsville Hospital.
1932
The Depression strikes home when the hospital is faced with the prospect of having to close its doors.
1943
President Roosevelt approved $45,850 in federal funds to expand the hospital to 76 beds. The project also included the first emergency room and an X-ray department.
1955-57
Expansion added new patient wings to the north and south ends of the 1926 building. An oxygen supply system was installed and the entire facility was made more fireproof.
1961
Huntsville Hospital was deeded over to the City of Huntsville in order to sell construction bonds to finance badly needed expansion.
1963
Construction provided four floors of nursing units, bringing bed capacity to 320.
1964
Hospital Auxiliary volunteers, known as "Pink Ladies", begin their service.
1967
The state's first, on-site employee child care center opens at Huntsville Hospital.
1973
Huntsville Hospital is selected as the teaching facility for UAH's School of Primary Medical Care. In addition, North Alabama's only Neonatal Nursery opens at Huntsville Hospital.
1979
Construction of North Tower brings bed capacity to 578.
1981
Region's first open heart surgery performed at Huntsville Hospital by Dr. Stancil Riley.
1982
Huntsville Hospital reincorporated under the State Health Care Authority Act.
1985
MedFlight service established at hospital.
1994
Huntsville Hospital puchases Medical Center Hospital from Columbia becoming Huntsville Hospital East.
1995
Huntsville Hospital celebrates its 100th anniversary.
2002
Huntsville Hospital East becomes Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children.
2003
Huntsville Hospital completes construction of a two car overhead tram system connecting the main facilities on campus.
2005
Construction begins on a new 84 bed patient room tower and an expanded Emergency Department.